This cottage was named for Sarah, wife of William Lythgo. After William was transported, Sarah worked “around the town” to support herself. Eventually she was convicted for pick-pocketing and transported to Australia, where she was eventually re-united with her husband.
They lived together in Lythgo’s Row and had seven children. Sadly, five of the children did not survive infancy and they are buried, with their parents in the cemetery of St Mark’s Anglican Church in Pontville. The surviving children married free settlers and descendants still live in the area.
This is the most romantic of the cottages and is popular with honeymooners or couples having anniversaries – or just wanting romantic time out. (View the Gallery)
Riverain was one of the many names the building has had over the years. It is Welch for “house by the river”. The property’s southern border runs along the Jordan River. The name was given to the complex by some elderly spinsters who owned the complex in the 1970’s. The ran it as tea rooms and they were responsible for the myth that the cottages had been built as an army barracks. They were convincing as they had a ceremony with the army and the local mayor – complete with parade and band – to unveil a plaque over the front door of the house proclaiming it as being built as an army barracks. The building later became known as The Barracks for this reason. It was later discovered that Lythgo had built the cottages in 1852 as workers’ cottages and the name was changed to Lythgo’s Row.
This cottage is more suited to family holidaying. (View the Gallery)
An Army officer – Captain Forth – oversaw the construction of the Pontville Bridge which spans the Jordan River. The unusual sandstone pylons are made from stone quarried from the site on which Lythgo’s Row was built. The bridge was built, with convict labour, in 1842. The house was commenced in 1845.
This cottage is named for Captain Forth (View the Gallery)